SPSI sometimes offers events that the public can attend remotely, via the teleconferencing app, Zoom. This page provides information on setting up Zoom and how to use it to attend these events.
Set Up Zoom
Before you can join a Zoom meeting, you’ll have to get the app installed on your computer, tablet, or smartphone. Please do this ahead of time so that you will be ready to join the event at the scheduled time.
- The easiest way to get started is to join a test meeting and follow the instructions when prompted. Zoom offers a test meeting link here: https://zoom.us/test
- You will be prompted to install the Zoom app on your device or computer.
- You will be prompted to allow Zoom to have microphone and camera access.
- To use the microphone on your computer/device, select “Call Using Internet Audio”.
- Once you’re in the test meeting, familiarize yourself with the options. You can mute your microphone when needed, and turn on and off your camera. There is also an audio test (click the “up” arrow near the microphone to find it) which will help you ensure that you can be heard and hear others.
- If you have audio issues such as echo or reverberation, you might need to turn down the volume on your computer or device to avoid feedback. Using smartphone headphones (the kind with a built-in microphone) is also a great option, as it eliminates this problem. These type of headphones may also work on your desktop or notebook computer.
Attend an Event via Zoom
To attend an event remotely via Zoom, find your event on the Calendar and click it. A page will open with details about the event, and with a “Click to join via Zoom” button near the top. Click that button and you will be added to the Zoom meeting for that event.